Friday, February 23, 2007

What Would You Say on Your Car?


A few years back I wrote a book featuring a rock-climing hero (The Thrill of it All) who, to the heroine's dismay, wore throughout the book a series of T-shirts with questionable slogans. I have to say I had a great time with those shirts. In another scene, the heroine is outside the hero's bar and inspecting bumper stickers pasted all over the car of one of the bar's patrons. MEAT IS DEAD, read one. CARPE GENITALIA read another.

Bumper stickers can tell us a lot about a person. Beyond what they say, it's interesting to note what someone chooses to tell the world. They're will to announce their political views, their college alma maters, all number of things. Only one of our cars has bumper stickers on it. Our old Cabriolet has one that reads: Lemon Ave. Leo Leopard on Board (referring to the school mascot of Lemon Avenue Elementary, which my sons attended) and another that says, Back Off! Goddess on Board with smaller type beneath that advises Read Anne Stuart's Books! (A fabulous idea, by the way.)

But today, today I saw a car with a bumper sticker that claimed the woman driving was a Cloth Diapering Momma.

Wow. Why? Maybe it's been too long since I was dealing with diapers and baby-centric decisions, but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would want to make this claim about themselves. Doing a quick investigation on the web, hoping to find a replica of the sticker, I came across another: Sexy Dads Diaper with Cloth.

Oh-kay. You find me a man willing to put this on his car and I'll sell you some beautiful Arizona beachfront.

It did get me thinking that our other cars (you don't want to know why we have FOUR) need some bumper stickers. What would I like to tell the world? Hmm. I've been getting some grateful fan mail recently. Maybe I'll have one made up that says: READ ROMANCE...YOUR HUSBAND WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!

4 comments:

Shikibu said...

Hi Christie! Just dropping by...

By the way, I'm a HUGE fan of yours, and I buy your books automatically without reading the blurb or waiting for book discount vouchers :)

I remember reading about CARPE GENITALIA and had a really, really good laugh~

Not sure about bumper stickers, but I would love to have T-shirts indicating "I read : (title of book or name of author)" But it isn't as interesting as your bumper stickers examples though..

Cheers~

Kate Carlisle said...

Hi Christie! Just dropping by to say...hi!

I think L.A. is the world headquarters for weird bumper stickers. I regularly drive to work behind a woman whose car is plastered with really bizarre and racey messages about whips and chains, and one says "Beat me, baby" and another says "Total Slut." The driver is a gray-haired granny in her 70's and I'm hoping the stickers are all a joke...but you never know in this town! LOL

Cinthia Hamer said...

Hey Christie~~

Hello from an expat East County gal.

I dunno about the bumper stickers. I've never liked them on my cars..they get old and grungy and are a PITA to remove.

I love t-shirts, though. I have one with 3 jeans and belt buckle clad men and says "Cowboy Up". LOL! Gotta love it!

Love your website--and your books, btw. :)

You're welcome to drop by my place one of these days and say hi if you'd like.

Isabel Swift said...

Hmmm. I think my favorite not exactly naughty one from years ago was:

Save a tree. Eat a beaver.