Monday, February 05, 2007

Wearing a New Hat


I apologize for not posting in a while…I have a good reason and a bad reason. Good reason: The manuscript-in-progress is going well! Bad reason: Surfer Guy (my husband) discovered that a disc in his back has re-ruptured. While this doesn’t cause me any pain (poor Surfer Guy is suffering) it is distracting as we contemplate his next move. Two surgeries in three months sucked and he’s not ready to be “filleted” again as he puts it.

However, writing and angsting have never stopped me from reading, so I thought I’d put a different hat on and write a brief book review for Lisa Gardner’s latest, Hide.

Gardner’s books have become an auto-buy for me, even at hardcover prices. She’s just so damn good at keeping me on the edge of my seat. I have an easy test for this: If a book can keep me focused while I’m reading on the stepmill machine at the gym (instead of timer-watching), then it’s good. Gardner can do one better. I’m actually sorry when my time is up because that means I have to shut the book…at least long enough to get home and shower.

In her latest book, Gardner revisits a character, Bobby Dodge, first seen in Alone. This is one of my favorite elements of Gardner’s books. While she doesn’t have a recurring sleuth, she’ll circle back to characters from previous novels. You don’t have to have read Alone to appreciate Hide, but I’d suggest you start there. In Hide, Bobby is now a state detective and is called in to work a case with the Boston PD. Six bodies have been found in an underground pit on the site of an abandoned mental hospital and when one of the dead is identified by name in the news, a young woman calls to say she is very much alive…

I’ve been an avid mystery reader all my life and I’m pretty good at figuring out the who in whodunits. Not with Gardner’s books. There are twists, turns, and twisted minds, none of which are predictable, yet all that come together to make a satisfying, suspenseful read. And there’s romance… But that’s done well too. Characters don’t take time out of detecting or fearing for their lives in order to have a romantic dinner or take in a movie. They don’t suddenly have sex while bullets are flying. It’s subtle, believable, and makes you only root for the characters more. So…I highly recommend!

Do you read outside of romance? Are you a mystery/suspense fan like me?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do love suspense, but prefer it with a bit of romance. I think I have heard about her before, what book would you recommend starting wtih? Alone? I have found myself reading a couple of suspense series that I think are kind of chick lit - Lois Grierman, Kate Collins, Nancy Bush, Nancy Cohen. All good. I also occasionally will dip my foot into some paranormal - more likely fantasy than vampire/werewolves, but a bit of everything.

By the way, I finished up Another New Year's Eve over the weekend and loved the Hart Boys. Troy and Desi were great and I loved Tanner's speech about his ego - perfect.

Great job.

Cady

Kate Carlisle said...

Sorry about Surfer Guy, Christie. I hope he's feeling better soon.

I love Lisa Gardner, too! I've still got ALONE on my TBR pile so now you've made me want to start it right now, then move onto HIDE.

To answer your question, I used to read only mystery, then switched to romance almost exclusively, and just in the last few months or so, I've found some mysteries I really like. So I'd say I enjoy everything, mysteries, romance, paranormals, even vampires! I just finished the first JR Ward--fabulous! I'm waiting for Amazon to send me the rest. Meanwhile, I'm devouring the Blackbird Sisters series by Nancy Martin.

Christie Ridgway said...

Thanks Kate for the tip on the Blackbird sisters...don't know those. And I love JR Ward and I'm picky about vamps. (Did you know she also writes as Jessica Bird for Silhouette?)

Cady! So glad you enjoyed the New Year's book. Troy and Dez have quite the fan base according to my e-mail, and I'm thinking of writing them a little epilogue on my website.

Christie Ridgway said...

Whoops, sent too soon. I'm noting those author names, Cady. I know Lois, but not the others.

Maureen Child said...

Hey Christie! Sympathies on Surfer Guy......how hideous for him and YOU!

On the reading front, I love romance, but suspense, mysteries, thrillers, all get the nod from me! Just finished THE THIRD SECRET by STeve Berry (about the Fatima visitations) great thriller set in the Vatican.

Love cozies by Jill Churchill, Sister Carol Anne O'Marie. Linda Howard's suspenses are great. Am in the middle of an old one, KILL AND TELL that is so sexy and so creepy it's amazing....and hey, LOVE Lisa Gardner.

Anonymous said...

Christie,

So sorry 'bout Surfer Guy and his back. Hope he is a better "sick guy" than my DH. The world literally stops spinning when he is sick. Amazing.

As to my reading preferences, I really enjoy romance most of all. Occasional mystery/thriller. True Crime..that is sort of my "dirty little secret". I know way too much about that sort of thing.
When I was pregnant I had too many nights of insomnia and too much Court TV at night.

One thing in reading that I don't get is the vampire thing. Just not my cup of tea, I guess. I read in bed alot, and frankly, vampires sort of creep me out.

Have a great day!

Kim

Christie Ridgway said...

Kim: I went through a True Crime period too! It coincided with when I did a lot of business travel and nothing said "keep away" to strange men, I think, than creepy covers on books. Also, dark suspense featuring covers with bloody knives. Hah.

Maureen: Thanks for the tip on Steve Berry. I've seen his name pop up recently and now I'll have to give him a try.

Anonymous said...

Christie - I would love to see more of Desi and Troy. Something about them just pulls you in. I was talking with another friend who had read them and they agreed as well.

Kate Collins writes a series of books called the Flower Shop Mysteries, Nancy Bush has written two mysteries - Candy Apple Red and another about a fledging PI and Nancy Cohen writes a series called the Bad Hair Day mysteries. All are fun.

I hope Surfer Boy is feeling better.

Cady