Friday, January 26, 2007

Book Budget...Are You Nuts?

Somewhere out in the blogosphere a reader mentioned having a "book budget." I was both amazed and envious. A book budget? Someone can stop themselves from buying a book that looks enticing?

I thought I might find a little control when some of fave authors went into hardback. At first I told myself, I'll wait until it's released as a paperback. I will. I held onto this thought for five minutes. Two. Okay, it whizzed through my gray matter like a pinball and then was sucked into the black hole that houses the part of my intellect that concerns itself with financial issues. Result: I cannot stop myself when there is a book available (even hardback) from such fabulous writers as these:

Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Her new book (Natural Born Charmer) is out February 6! I'm counting down the days.

Deborah Smith. I ordered her latest Belle Books release (The Crossroads Cafe--it's trade PB) and was going to save it for Christmas Day. I've already established I have no will power, right? I read it (and loved it) immediately.

Janet Evanovich. Even a "between the numbers" Stephanie Plum book like Plum Lovin' and the new series starring "Barney" Barnaby (Metro Girl, Motor Mouth).

J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts): I'm a complete Eve and Roarke fan. One of the happiest times of my romance reading-life was when I picked up Naked in Death (the first in the series) after she'd already written something like 8 subsequent books. I could go on a complete glom! What joy. Innocent in Death is coming out February 20.

Do you budget your book buys? And which authors/books would you forego your Wheaties for?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christie,

I don't have a book budget per say, but I do have to control myself at times. I am not a big utilizer of the library--since if I enjoy something, I enjoy the opportunity to read it again and again.

I love the fact that I can get information from Amazon and such places on upcoming releases of books/authors that I am really interested in. Of course then I still sometimes have trouble finding things. (I missed your New Years Eve book in the stores) I will order from Amazon one day soon though! :)

The hardback thing can be a deterrent, but I figure that if I really need it--I can just go on a diet. (My son will probably offer to do that for the Harry Potter this summer!)

Best,

Kim

Christie Ridgway said...

Kim: Isn't that cool how the boys have gotten into reading? (At least Harry Potter was the one who got my boys into reading.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who will forego in order to buy certain books. I do admit I have a huge TBR pile and sometimes I wonder why I just don't do my book shopping there. Of course Surfer Guy says the same thing about my closet. He once offered to "sell" me clothes from the back of the rod, the rat.

Maureen Child said...

Book budgets??? Seriously??? There are people out there with that much control?? That's just terrifying! LOL...

Christie, I'm hopeless. I have some authors I MUST buy in hardback, no matter what. JD, Nora, SEP are just the top 3! (And I cannot wait for the next Eve and Roarke episode, the last one was fabulous!)

I have so many books....these days, when I turn on the computer, it just automatically puts up my Amazon page....

Christie Ridgway said...

Maureen: Looks like our bookshelves are similarly populated. And from what I hear, we have good reason to be salivating over the next Eve/Roarke installment. I say thank goodness for Nora, because her prolific writing skills make us not have to wait so long between books!

Anonymous said...

I don't necessarily have a book budget but I don't buy hard back unless it's something I really can't wait for at the library. I just don't have the room. The last hardback I bought was the Crusie/Mayer which I enjoyed. I am first on the list at my library for SEP's new one! I can't wait. My autobuys are: you (new to the list), Susan Mallery, Kresley Cole (paranormal series), Gennita Low, Karen Robards, Linda Howard and Nora Roberts. I'm sure there are more but I'd run out of room here listing them here!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the patience to go to the library and look for a book in hardback instead of shelling out the 25 dollars but there are books like SEP's Natural Born Charmer that I have been waiting years for that I had to preorder so that I could get it on time much less wait for it to come out and then go to the library. Can't wait for Susan Mallery's newest either!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I am the lone stand-out. I have a book budget. I keep track of how much I spend and try and keep it to a certain amount each month. This does not mean that I won't buy a book if I am over budget, but it does mean that after I go overbudget next month iffy buys don't get bought. Luckily, I hate hardcover books. I am a keeper and these take up too much room. I have a great library system that allows me to order books megaearly and get them within a couple of days of actual release dates - if I remember to request them. I always get the In Deaths within a day or two of release date. This allows me to read them early and then purchase and reread when them come out in paperback.

Cady