Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Reading with My Eyes Closed


The other day, my sweat buddy Tracy was on the Stepmill with a portable DVD player that she watched while she exercised. That was pretty impressive, particularly as it was a Pilates tape (would that count as double the calories?) she was reviewing for a class she teaches at the gym.

Of course, many people listen to their iPods while the exercise. I don't--I read a book or a magazine. But, brace yourselves, I hate housework. (Hah. You probably love it, right?) However, I've found a way to make it bearable. No, it's not quite reading with my eyes closed, but it is reading while dusting, vaccuuming, washing floors. I download books onto my computer and I have wireless headphones that work downstairs, upstairs, and even all the way to the garbage cans at the side of the house.

Audio books, unfortunately, are not cheap. They can run toward $30 a pop. I tried out audible.com and received two free trial books (yeah) but haven't been back because their prices are so steep. Great selection, though. Now I'm visiting soundsgood.com and for less that $20 a month, you can download two books. If you look for unabridged titles, two books lasts me through a whole month of housecleaning.

I just finished listening to Elizabeth Lowell's The Wrong Hostage. Excellent book, and a really good one for listening (I like books with a lot of action while I'm doing housework). Next up is Meg Cabot's Size 14 is Not Fat Either. I can't wait to hear how her very humorous tone is done. That can be important...the narrator's take on the book. I listened to one guy who did all the female parts in a creepy falsetto that made me want to kick his butt. I think women narrators do a much better job at the male voices than men do with the females.

So what about you? Have you listened to a book?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am starting to work from a new location in March - now I will have about a 50 minute commute so I just ordered Morrigan's Cross from the library on CD. Thought I would see if I liked it with a book I have already read first.

Cady

Christie Ridgway said...

Cady: Report back. I've thought about that...listening to a book I'd enjoyed reading.

Anonymous said...

I figured this one would be good as there were a lot of pronuciations that I didn't know exactly.

Cady

Anonymous said...

I've listened to two - Morrigan's Cross by Nora and All Night Long by Jayne Ann Krentz. Both were excellent, a bit different in each - ANL was read by a man and a woman. MC was read by a man. It gives you a totally different feel for a book than just reading it. I will definately do some more. Thankfully, the library has some.

Cady