Thursday, January 18, 2007

Males Are Weird

But I didn’t need to tell you that, did I? However, I bring this up because it's something that occurs to me over and over as I'm the only female in a household of the XYs.

Males are weird from the get-go, but at some moment they go completely off the charts.

Case in point: My teenage son had been talking for months about a new game system he wanted (I don’t listen, we have three game systems and surely Big Bad Dad aka Surfer Guy will put his foot down). But Son 1 is smart, always has been, and before he turns to Dad, he has convinced his little brother that they will share the system. Yes, the two will pool their money and buy it themselves. This is very smart, because little brother, Son 2, isn’t teenager-ish yet. He’s short and cute and still doesn’t need anything to smell sweet. Not to mention the curly blond hair and the blue eyes. He is sent in to appeal to Big Bad Dad, who caves like a sandcastle stepped on by a toddler.

All right. Fine. Then it comes to the On-Sale Date and Son 1 makes the odd request that he doesn’t want to go out on Saturday night and if any of his friends ask, back him up that he has to do some family thing. Okay. (I should have made that stick and tell him the “family thing” was a complete clean-up of his room, but I missed that opportunity.) I figured he didn’t want any of his friends to horn in on his big chance to stand in line, thus perhaps being competition to get one of the few Wiis that were available in November.

Yes, it was the Wii.

The sons got the Wii early Sunday morning, that first day. They love the Wii. We discover I am good at Wii bowling. You can use the Wii to surf the net on your TV. We are all contented Wii people for weeks.

Until my son’s friends came over ten days ago. We’ve had the Wii almost two months and these friends have been over many times in that period. And I make some comment about why don’t they break out the Wii. Son 1 is aghast.

The friends stare at me in surprise.

HE HAS TOLD NO ONE HE HAS THE WII!

What’s up with that? This was one of the most coveted items of the 2006 holiday season and he hasn’t spilled the beans to either his best friend or his new girlfriend. Ah-hah! Might that be it? Might he be afraid she’ll see him as some nerdy, techy, video game-playing geek?

And has she really failed to detect that's who he really is inside that 6’3” of basketball- and volleyball-playing body?

I don’t know the answer. I only know that males are weird and that his girlfriend is now cleaning his clock at Wii tennis and Wii baseball. Hmm. Maybe that’s the answer. He does hate to lose.

I hope you have some odd male behavior to share!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christie!

I so understand where you are at. I am a stranger in a strange land...4 men and me...its almost too much to bear sometimes.

The "male humor" is one of the things that gets me pretty much daily--that and they couldn't find their butts with both hands, a map and a flashlight. UGH! I am forever finding things that they have "lost forever".

Don't even get me started on the bathroom habits. It seems pretty easy to me, but hey! I must be wrong. Although I need to give them credit for the fact that they always leave the seat down for me. I need to get some respect! LOL

They are a joy--and I am their queen. I will never have to buy a prom or wedding dress--I will never have to discuss the use of tampons--but still...it is an amazing micro-study of the male animal that is for sure!


Kim in NE

Christie Ridgway said...

Kim: Oh, I am so with you. Sometimes I am their queen, and sometimes, when I make one of my royal decrees, they all take a look at each other, shrug, and collectively decide to revolt.

And why =can't= they find the strawberry jam? It's right there, behind the mustard, where it always is.

Maureen Child said...

Hah! Christie, that's my biggest male complaint! The 'where is it?' gene..I always tell the dh "Wait a minute. I'll turn my uterus on and find it for you"......sigh.

Christie Ridgway said...

Maureen: LOL! I've gotta steal that line about my uterus. It IS strange, isn't it? My males ask even before they look.

"Where are the towels?"

"Where'd you put...?" (It's me. I confess, I constantly "put" things where they can't find them. ::snort::)

Anonymous said...

Ok, the uterus thing! That about made me have to get a new monitor.

However, for me--it would be my ovarian GPS device as the uterine unit has been retired.

Best to all!

Kim

Anonymous said...

THE ABSOLUTE WORST....why do we need to hold our penis? My husband has to hold his while watching TV, and my 7-year old son never needed a tub toy *sigh* and my 3 year old refuses to wear his underwear because it hinders his ability to hold his penis and S-T-R-E-T-C-H it to its fullest potential ACK!

Heidi in TX