Friday, January 12, 2007

Good News = Good Eats?


I received some good news yesterday (the sales of Not Another New Year’s are going strong and it made the USA Today bestseller list for the second week in a row) along with the encouragement to “go celebrate!”

Why is it that the first thing I think of celebrating with is food?

Truly, that’s what I did. My mind leaped to, “Hmm…okay, what should I have to eat?” What’s up with that? Is it normal to think a celebration=cookies, a candy bar, a nice bottle of wine and those yummy cheese squares I like so much?

So to put off deciding how to rejoice, I dragged on the tight jeans (did they ever fit not-so-snugly around the waist? I’m thinking not.) and went to Costco for dog food. I bought a new Stephanie Plum book and the lastest Traveling Pants book. Hah! There’s a celebration for an avid reader like me. Shouldn’t that be good enough?

Except later, my husband (aka Surfer Guy) brought me a glass of our usual (cheap) wine. And I had a few Cheez-its, which are not yummy cheese squares, but are at least the right shape. After I took care of the dinner dishes, I had a couple of dark chocolate-covered caramels left over from New Year’s. They don’t count if I was standing up while I ate them, right?

So I had some “bad” food. But the problem is…none of it was as satisfying as the foods I really wanted to celebrate with. And now I feel guilty for all the extra calories. I told all this to Tracy, the personal trainer, who responded “Get thee to the gym, girl!” adding the dreaded words, “Double cardio.” (That’s when you jack up your metabolism by doing some sort of cardio exercise for 30-50 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon.) But pina colada-sipping Cynthia kept it real by rolling her eyes and reminding all of us that “please, celebration is not adding an extra mile to your run.”

But am I the only one with this weird connection between happy news and eating? Chime in if you have any celebration rituals. Even if it’s making chocolate chip cookie dough and eating all the raw batter until it makes you sick (not that I’ve ever done that or anything.)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christie,
no its not just you, I think its most people, I mean how do you celebrate a birthday, anniversary or holiday? Food! Not good for my hips but fun to celebrate. Thanks for keeping this blog going to keep me entertained during work!

Anonymous said...

Christie,

Food is the best! Unfortunately, that is why my butt looks the way it does! LOL

Congrats on the book doing so well. I still need to pick it up--maybe this weekend--if I am not snowed in.

Kim

Christie Ridgway said...

Hey, Nicky and Kim! Yeah, but do guys make that automatic connection? Hmm. I suppose they think about going to have a beer or something. (But I'd be thinking beer AND nachos. Yeah, that's the ticket.)

But you're right, all of our celebrations include some kind of feast.

Glad you guys are checking in!

Anonymous said...

I think some men like to celebrate with sex. :)

Christie Ridgway said...

Kim, LOL! I think you're right! And I just found out something else to celebrate. Must Love Mistletoe was nominated as one of the best contemporary romances for 2006.

We're going out to dinner tonight...

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the book news and the RT nomination!

I celebrate with food. Chocolate, preferably. Doesn't matter the form-liquid, solid, melted, frozen. Anything will do.

Hope you enjoyed dinner!

Christie Ridgway said...

Anonymous: We had a great "bar food" dinner at our favorite local place and then went a few to a spot we hadn't been before...where they have karaoke on the weekend nights!

We had a blast, though we didn't get up and sing. We have karaoke here at home on the kids' Playstation and I am seriously no singer.

Kate Carlisle said...

Who in their right mind would eat raw chocolate chip cookie dough??? LOL...okay, maybe once or twice.....usually with a nice chardonnay.*g*

Kate Carlisle said...

P.S. Congrats on your second week going strong!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the books!

I typically celebrate with cap'n and diet! Must be the pirate in me. I actually went to a new bar/eatery this weekend to get away from all the Colts fanatics. Ha! Not a peaceful dinner anywhere in the city that had a bar and a television.

Sandy

Christie Ridgway said...

Sandy: Pretty crazy here in San Diego too. The beloved Chargers lost their first play-off game yesterday. So there was nothing to celebrate...but I ate anyway. Actually, not too bad. Didn't feel much like chowing down when the guys in my family were all moaning and groaning over the loss.

Christine Rimmer said...

Okay, Cookie Dough. I love it. I confess.

Love your new blogger digs, Christie...

Christie Ridgway said...

Hey, Chris! Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Right. An extra mile is just SO not a celebration!

I'm trying to think of rewards for good behavior, too. So I thought of manicures for little stuff, because they massage my hands. And pedicures if I actually make a bigger goal, and for BIG stuff, a full facial with all the trimmings and aromatherapy and everything.

But once in awhile, I think my inner ten year old just needs an apple fritter.